Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Phew. I arrived safely. The flight was very long, but there were no issues and everything went smoothly. I was really happy to get to my apartment and see that there is wireless. Its a little slow, I may get a real hook up once I get settled.
The toilets in Tokyo's airport were strange. Here is a picture of all the opitions you have. I tried the flushing sound, it plays melodic toilet flushing noises. I didn't try the asswash or bidet.


When I got to Seoul, Mr Lee was waiting for me. He bought my bus ticket to Gangneung and waited with me until it came. The bus ride took about 3 1/2 hours, it started snowing at some point. It was also snowing a little when I woke up this morning, but its too warm to stick and now the sun is out. When I got to the bus stop there was no one there waiting. I tried to go inside but it was closed, then they opened it for me. Some Korean men tried to help me figure it out even though they couldn't speak any English, one of them let me use his phone to call my director. Then I was kicked out because it "close." She came right away. While waiting for her he kept trying to get me to go to a bar with him, it was really funny. I kept saying "No, stay" and shaking my head and saying "bye bye," while he said "cold" and made drinking motions and pointed across the street.
When the director met me she gave me a huge hug and took me to my apartment. Its on the second floor.. lugging my suitcases up the stairs was not easy but I made it. It is pretty cute. There is a kitchen and entrance area,


there is a door that separates that from my bedroom and living area.


I have a small inside "balcony." Its unheated in there so leaving the door open a crack helps it not be too stuffy inside.


The view is nothing to speak of...


The floors are heated and soothing to walk on. The bathroom is Korean style, that means there is nothing separating the shower from the rest of the bathroom. The water goes down a drain in the floor.



Hot water is very hot! I don't have my own washing machine, there is a communal one in the hallway. It makes funny little noises when you turn it on.
I had a hard time going to bed last night, I must be jetlagged. I got a 7:30am wake up call when all the Koreans in the building stomped off to work.
Today I am going to unpack and make the place my own. Whoever lived here before me left a lot of stuff behind. Some of it I can use, like a clothes drying rack, kitchen things, and a yoga met.. but most of it is junk like old food, smelly towels, and wore out purses/backpacks. Strangely there is no garbage can. I need an iron badly too and an adapter. Another thing I need is a music stand since I left mine at home. I'm nervous about today. After awhile I will go to the school and say "hi" to everyone and meet kids. Hopefully someone will take me around to get things. I'm anxious to go walk around and see the city but is so much colder here than it is back home. Gotta go if I want to conserve my battery until I get an adapter. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment