Thursday, June 18, 2009

having fun at my school and camping on the beach

The school I work at is really fun. We are always going on field trips and doing special activities.
The week before last we had a "restaurant play." The kids came dressed up in their fancy clothes then they pretended to have a nice dinner with a date.
As art teacher I helped each kid make invitations.


It was sooooooo cute! I can't believe how willing they were to ballroom dance with each other.









Dinner was alright. The first course was vegetable soup, followed by an assortment of some of the kids favorite foods: chicken nuggets, pork cutlet, watermelon, cherry tomatoes, seaweed rice balls, and broccoli. We had banana and strawberry ice cream for dessert.









My date, Rei, is enjoying his soup. The rose came from a different kid, Rei actually got me a really pretty hair blue rhinestone hairclip.










We took a field trip to the beach the following week. It was one of the increasingly rare beautiful days here. I think we are starting to get into the rainy season because its been raining and misting a lot lately. Also its very chilly for June, I'm getting really sick of having to wear a sweater all the time.

The kids played in the sand and we set up a canopy. I built a sand castle then some of the kids helped me decorate it with shells and we picked out which rooms we would have. Mines the big shell at the top but don't tell Steve because he thinks that one is his.



Stephanie's girls playing with sand toys.


A girl from Chris' class got buried.










Steph dug a hole to Canada.



We ate watermelons and cookies for snack. Then we took the kids to get their feet wet in the water. Lots of people got soaked, I stayed far away from it though! Wet socks.. no thanks.



The weekend before last I headed down with my scooter gang to Sokcho, its about an hour and a half cruise from Gangneung. I would say Sokcho is kind of like our little sister city. Many of the people from here and there do things together. Sokcho is a neat little town, its almost half the size of here and is going through a lot of development. It reminded me a little bit of Florida.
My gang brought a tent, hamburgers, a grill, jello shots and a ton of stuff. We brought the party! My buddy Chris makes the 2nd best hamburger ever, only Mr Joe's hamburgers are better.

The tent is really nice. I love how you can camp on the beach here and also grill. No one ever comes to bother you or yell at you. I slept in the tent with the gang. When I woke up there was a strange Korean man who had stolen my blanket sleeping next to me. Normally something like that would freak me out, but in Korean it is just too typical. Would have actually had been surprised if some random Korean guy hadn't come into our tent in the middle of the night and passed out after taking my blanket and burritoing himself in it. He bought us all "honey water" in the morning though, honey water tastes actually how it sounds and it does wonders for hangovers.











It was a really crazy good full moon kind of night. One of the gang lost his keys in the sand, and that really sucked. He had to take the bus home and get his extra keys then go back for his scooter. Poor guy.

In the morning I started hearing rumors about a Popeyes in Sokcho's Emart. No way that there is a Popeyes in a Sokcho! No Freaking Way! HOW? WHY?! They were lies, I was so sure. Of all places, why would there be a Popeyes in a tiny little 90,000 people fishing town in the middle of no where. I don't even think there is a Popeyes in Seoul!
Well. The rumors were TRUE! There IS a honest to god Popeyes in Sokcho. I had chicken and biscuits, I can't say that it tasted like the Popeyes I know and hate to love but it was pretty good!











Before I had to teach today I went with my Korean friend Danny to get a cell phone!
DEUDIEO! (FINALLY!)
Now I can stay in touch with people better and call for directions when I'm lost instead of having to ask strangers to let me use their phone. The whole process was pretty fun. We went to several different stores before settling on the one with the guy who was most enthusiastic about selling me a phone. The phone I got is really cool and it only cost about $40. I can watch TV on it, yes really. I can watch TV on my phone. I probably will never use that, but I think its so novel that I could. It also has a Korea/English dictionary, does conversions, and has subway maps. It can do MP3 and video. and I have a pet dog on it called 'Disco' who says things like "Don't you like my tail?" It has a camera of course, and photoshop like software.

No comments:

Post a Comment